- Dermaplaning is a treatment that involves using an extra sharp and precise razor to remove all unwanted facial hair, as well as the dead skin cells that cause a dull complexion.
- Dermaplaning is a safe and quick procedure that does not require any significant preparation or recovery time.
- The experienced practitioners at Skin Therapeutics have been effectively performing dermaplaning treatments for over 10 years with beautiful results.
Are you tired of repeatedly shaving and exfoliating at home with little to no results? Not only can shaving at home be tedious, it can also have uneven results, especially when it comes to those super-fine baby hairs. Pair frequent shaving with abrasive exfoliants, and that can lead to badly damaged and dry skin.
At Skin Therapeutics, located conveniently in Ellicott City, offering services to the greater Baltimore Area and beyond, we offer dermaplaning as a safe and effective alternative to at-home exfoliating and shaving that will give you bright, smooth, and youthful skin.
Dermaplaning at Skin Therapeutics
Dermaplaning, sometimes also referred to as blading or microplaning, is a skin resurfacing treatment that removes unwanted hair and thoroughly exfoliates the skin.
Dermaplaning uses a surgical blade or scalpel to essentially shave the surface of your skin. This will not only get rid of any unsightly hair on your face, but will also remove old, dead skin cells to reveal the fresh, younger looking skin underneath.
Our dermaplaning tools
At Skin Therapeutics, we use a surgical 10 blade attached to a metal handle for our dermaplaning treatments. This blade is one of the most commonly used tools for dermaplaning, with an ideal sharpness and slightly curved shape, the surgical 10 blade allows for precise removal of fine villous hairs and dead skin cells on the surface of the skin.
Why Choose Us for Your Dermaplaning Treatment?
Skin Therapeutics is dedicated to assuring your comfort and safety. Although dermaplaning is a very safe procedure, we know that every client’s skin-care needs are different, and so we provide individualized treatments based on one-on-one consultations.
At Skin Therapeutics:
- Our staff consists of licensed nurses and estheticians who have up to twenty years of professional experience with skin resurfacing and aesthetic procedures
- A number of our staff specializes specifically in microblading and hair removal
- We have been providing successful dermaplaning treatments for over 10 years
- We are trusted by loyal clients who come not only from all over the greater Baltimore Area but even from out of state to seek our services
Choosing a skin-care provider can be difficult, but with the experience and dedication of our team, you can be confident about your decision to choose Skin Therapeutics.
Benefits of Dermaplaning
While similar to shaving, dermaplaning offers a variety of additional benefits that using at-home razors cannot achieve. Dermaplaning can:
- Remove all unwanted hair, including fine vellus hairs (also known as ‘peach fuzz’)
- Help reduce dirt and oil build up that can occur in the hair follicles
- Even out skin tone and texture
- Fade acne scars and other superficial scarring
- Rejuvenate and brighten skin by removing the outer layer of dead skin cells
- Allow for better absorption of skin care products
The superior exfoliating properties of dermaplaning will leave you with soft, touchable skin that some clients have described as “luminous”.
Before and After Photos
Each of the examples below feature clients who have undergone dermaplaning. However, some patients may have undergone other skin-care treatments simultaneously, which could have contributed to their results.
What to Expect During Your Dermaplaning Treatment
One dermaplaning treatment will take approximately 15 to 20 minutes.
First, depending on your specific needs, the esthetician may apply a delicate cleanser to your skin to help induce a deeper exfoliation. Next, they will take the sterilized surgical 10 blade and gently scrape the topmost layer of skin, keeping the blade at an angle of approximately 45 degrees. The esthetician will shave against the grain of the hair, using short, gentle strokes until they have removed all dead skin and excess hair.
Immediately following this, the esthetician may apply a soothing or hydrating product (and sometimes a sunscreen) in order to moisturize and protect your fresh, rejuvenated skin.
At Skin Therapeutics, we recommend extending your dermaplaning treatment to a 45 minute ‘lunch-time’ treatment by including a jelly mask. After dermaplaning, your skin is better able to absorb topical products, which means you will see the best results from this cooling and hydrating face mask.
While dermaplaning is a safe and effective treatment for many of our clients, it may not be the very best option for you. At Skin Therapeutics, we offer a wide variety of skin-care treatments to give you both the best experience and the best results.
If you’re not sure that dermaplaning is right for you, consider these alternatives:
- Laser Hair Removal: For complete and painless hair removal on any part of the body. This treatment is long-lasting and works on any skin type.
- Collagen P.I.N. or R.F. Microneedling: For evening out skin tone and texture, as well as reducing fine lines, wrinkles, and stretch marks.
- Clear + Brilliant Skin Rejuvenation: Clear + Brilliant replaces old and damaged skin with healthy skin underneath to give you a luminous skin tone, smooth texture, and visibly reduce your pore size.
- Facials and Peels: Our customized facials and peels will not only exfoliate the skin to leave it feeling fresh and rejuvenated, they can also help address fine lines and acne to improve your complexion.
- Cryocorrect: This is a safe and painless spot-treatment that evens out skin tone and texture by correcting dark spots and removing skin tags.
Depending on your skin type and concerns, we may also recommend combining your dermaplaning treatment with medical facials, chemical peels, or Diamond Glow for enhanced results.
Book Your Dermaplaning Treatment
If you think dermaplaning is right for you, or you would like to know more, contact Skin Therapeutics today for a consultation.
Our staff is dedicated to ensuring you receive the best individualized skin care, and we are always pleased to answer any questions you may have about your treatment.
What is the difference between dermaplaning and shaving?
Although the basic principle of dermaplaning is very similar to shaving, dermaplaning uses a sharper, more precise tool. It not only removes unwanted facial hair with better accuracy than shaving, it also provides significantly better exfoliating and rejuvenating effects.
Are there any side effects?
The risk of seeing any side effects after dermaplaning is low, but there is a chance you may experience:
- Facial redness immediately following the treatment (this should fade within a few days)
- Whiteheads appearing within a few days of the treatment (which should also disappear quickly)
- Some changes in skin pigmentation
- Minor skin infections
While these side effects are possible, most are due to the ignorance of unlicensed or inexperienced estheticians. At Skin Therapeutics, we always provide clean equipment, gentle and precise technique, as well as patient screening to make sure this treatment is right for you.
Who should avoid dermaplaning?
If you currently suffer from acne, or have other active lesions on the face (like cold sores), dermaplaning is not for you. Dermaplaning can irritate and worsen active acne conditions, and may even lead to infection. You should also avoid dermaplaning if you have:
- A current or recent sunburn
These conditions increase the sensitivity of your skin, leaving it more susceptible to tearing or injury, and they can make the treatment somewhat painful.
Does dermaplaning hurt?
No, a dermaplaning treatment should not hurt.
While some clients have reported experiencing a slight tingling sensation, this is one of the least painful hair-removal treatments; it is significantly less painful than waxing or threading.